'Chunky' snake stuck in gear box after overdoing it over Christmas

31 December 2019, 14:59 | Updated: 31 December 2019, 15:03

Allan the fat snake had a bit of an unintentional adventure
Allan the fat snake had a bit of an unintentional adventure. Picture: PA

By Kate Buck

A fat snake called Allan had to be rescued from a gear box after trying to make a daring escape and getting trapped.

It took five firefighters and his worried owners to free the chunky reptile after he got out of his vivarium whilst in the car with owner Ellie Bond.

She and her partner Lewis Newton were making the journey from Nottingham to Oldham to spend the Christmas break with family when they realised Allan wasn't in his glass cage.

Ms Bond frantically searched the car with Mr Newton - but with no sign pet corn snake Allan, she thought he may have fallen from her car onto the motorway.

The couple began pulling apart the car and removing the seats until Mr Newton pulled away the casing near the gear stick, revealing the reptilian escapee.

But the operation to remove him wasn't so simple, as he had just eaten his Christmas meal and was a bit too wide to squeeze out of his predicament.

His owners tried smothering him with butter to get him out
His owners tried smothering him with butter to get him out. Picture: PA
He managed to slither into the gearbox of the car
He managed to slither into the gearbox of the car. Picture: PA

Ms Bond, a 25-year-old supply teacher at Oakwood Infant School in Derby, said of Allan: "He is 5ft long and quite chunky so he was properly trapped, and I was worried he would hurt himself trying to get free.

"We tried using butter to help lubricate the area but he still couldn't move.

"It was also snowing so was very cold for him - which is also very dangerous for a snake - so I was scared he would die if we could not release him quickly as he had been there for a few hours."

After an RSPCA inspector arrived at the scene, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service had to be called to cut the snake free.

While inspector Angela Paxton-Taylor held Allan with a damp towel to ensure the temperature of the metal around the animal did not get too hot, the firefighters cut through a small piece of metal which was enough to allow him to be lifted free.

It took five firefighters to free the stricken reptile
It took five firefighters to free the stricken reptile. Picture: PA

Ms Paxton-Taylor said: "Along with the fire crews we were able to safely release him and he appeared unharmed - a few scales were missing and he was very cold but we were able to warm him up and he is doing well.

"It was awkward as there was me and five firefighters in a Citroen C1 working hard to free Allan, but it worked.

"The fire service who worked brilliantly as a team and were determined and really considerate for the wellbeing of Alan."

Ms Bond said Allan has fully recovered from the ordeal and is now "back to his lazy self".

Comments

Loading...

Happening Now