Coronavirus: Nadine Dorries' mother tests positive after MP contracted Covid-19
13 March 2020, 20:39
Health minister Nadine Dorries, who tested positive for coronavirus earlier this week, says her 84-year-old mother has also contracted the virus.
On Friday evening, the Mid Bedfordshire MP: “We have had my 84yo Mums results through. She tested positive.
“She’s a pre war baby, doing ok. Made of strong stuff.”
The Conservative MP said she has been self-isolating at home after testing positive for the coronavirus, and her parliamentary office has closed following advice from Public Health England.
Meanwhile, Cabinet minister Anne-Marie Trevelyan said on Friday that she has tested negative for the virus, but will stay at home for seven days as a precaution after coming into contact with Ms Dorries.
We have had my 84yo Mums results through. She tested positive. She’s a pre war baby, doing ok. Made of strong stuff. #Coronavirus— Nadine Dorries 🇬🇧 (@NadineDorries) March 13, 2020
On Wednesday, Labour & Co-operative MP Rachael Maskell has been advised to self-isolate after coming into contact with Ms Dorries.
Ms Maskell tweeted she had been advised to self-isolate by the NHS 111 service as a result of a meeting she had with the Government's Mental Health Minister last Thursday who has subsequently tested positive for Coronavirus.
The Government and MPs have resisted suggestions that Parliament should shut down in order to limit the spread of the virus.
But the House has planned to limit visitor access and introduce restrictions on overseas travel.
The plans will come into play on Monday in order to "preserve the operation of Parliament."
In a joint statement on Friday, Lord Speaker Lord Fowler and Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle said: “We are resolved that Parliament should, insofar as possible, continue to fulfill its important constitutional duties of passing legislation, holding Government to account and, crucially, representing the views of the people of the United Kingdom and making their voice heard.
“In order to preserve the operation of Parliament, it is our duty to take proportionate and reasonable measures to reduce the risk to those who work on the parliamentary estate and those who have to visit.”
It continues: “We are clear that now is the time to be pragmatic; everyone in the country is being asked to strike a balance and it is right that we do the same.
“It is in this spirit that we have decided to implement a number of restrictions relating to overseas travel and visitor access.
“These steps have been developed in conjunction with Public Health England and reflect the Government’s current approach.
“Members of the public wishing to enter the parliamentary estate solely to view Westminster Hall will not be admitted.”