Crew members on American Airlines flight 'pass out' due to chemical spill
21 October 2019, 15:52
An American Airlines flight was forced to make an emergency landing after two crew members reportedly passed out mid-air.
Flight AA729 from London Heathrow to Philadelphia was forced to turn around and land in Dublin due to a reported chemical spill - thought to be a bleach-like cleaning fluid - in the toilets.
Passengers also claimed to be suffering from burning sensations in their eyes.
The two crew members and one passenger were taken to hospital after landing "for evaluation" when the flight landed in Dublin at 1.15pm this afternoon.
Online airport webcam streaming service AirportWebcams.net published audio of what it claimed was the radio conversation between a pilot on board the flight and an air traffic controller in the Irish capital.
The pilot said: "We've had one, actually two of our flight crew staff - the cabin staff - have actually lost consciousness. I think they're back to consciousness now and their general complaints about burning eyes and other problems with mucus in the nose, skin problems."
American Airlines flight 729 landed safely in Dublin and was met by medics.
In a statement, the Airline said: "American Airlines flight 729 from London Heathrow to Philadelphia diverted to Dublin due to an odour caused by a spilled cleaning solution in the galley.
"The flight landed safely in Dublin at 1:15 p.m. local time, and taxied to the gate.
"Medical personnel have met the aircraft to evaluate any crew members or passengers who may need additional assistance."