Prince William shares message in support of charities dealing with coronavirus

18 March 2020, 21:04

The Duke is the first member of the royals to speak out about Covid-19
The Duke is the first member of the royals to speak out about Covid-19. Picture: Twitter - Kensington Palace

By Matt Drake

Prince William has released a passionate message in support of the National Emergencies Trust which is dedicated to helping families suffering hardship from coronavirus.

The Duke of Cambridge urged the importance of pulling together as the UK tackles Covid-19.

He is the first member of the Royal Family to officially speak about the outbreak which has killed more than 100 people in the UK, so far.

But Meghan Markle and Prince Harry shared a message on Instagram shortly before the video was released on Kensington Palace's Twitter account.

The National Emergencies Trust will collect money to support people suffering from hardship during the recent coronavirus outbreak.

The Duke said: "Whenever and wherever adversity strikes, the people of the United Kingdom have a unique ability to pull together.

READ MORE: Evictions banned for three months under emergency coronavirus laws

READ MORE: Coronavirus claims 32 more UK lives bringing death toll to 104

"The way that local communities support those affected shows the very best of our values and human nature.

“The public’s desire to help in the wake of tragedy needs to be managed and channelled in the best possible way which is why the establishment of National Emergencies Trust was so important.

“I said at its launch last year that I dreaded the day when it would be needed.

“Sadly, with the outbreak of Covid-19, that day has come faster than any of us would have hoped.

“But now more than ever, I am grateful that the National Emergencies Trust exists.

“It will ensure the support reaches those across the UK who need it most as quickly and efficiently as possible.

“And it will help to ensure that all our efforts to overcome this challenge are channelled in the best possible way.”

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said: “We are living in deeply uncertain times, and I know that people across the nation are keen to help in any way that they can.

“As a government we are working closely with the charity sector, which is already playing a crucial role in the nation's response.

"The National Emergencies Trust will help to channel the amazing outpouring of generosity we are seeing from the British public and businesses, and ensure help reaches those most in need."

Princess Beatrice is to review her wedding plans in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

She is due to marry Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi on May 29 in the Chapel Royal.

The service was to be followed by a reception in the Buckingham Palace gardens, but the reception has now been cancelled.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: "Princess Beatrice and Mr Mapelli Mozzi are very much looking forward to getting married but are equally aware of the need to avoid undertaking any unnecessary risks in the current circumstances.

"In line with government advice for the UK and beyond, the couple are reviewing their arrangements for 29th May.

"They are particularly conscious of government advice in relation to both the wellbeing of older family members and large gatherings of people.

"Therefore, the planned reception in the Buckingham Palace Gardens will not take place.

"The couple will carefully consider government advice before deciding whether a private marriage might take place amongst a small group of family and friends."

Comments

Loading...

Happening Now