London Bridge attack: Chef describes how he chased terrorist after being stabbed
3 December 2019, 18:52 | Updated: 3 December 2019, 21:16
A chef who fought off the London Bridge terrorist has described how he pursued the attacker after being stabbed five times.
Lukasz Koczocik grabbed a metal pole from Fishmongers' Hall to chase Usman Khan, who was armed with two knives and wearing a fake suicide belt.
Just minutes before, the convicted terrorist had fatally stabbed Cambridge University graduates Jack Merritt, 25, and 23-year-old Saskia Jones inside the hall.
It was initially believed he was the man who had ripped a narwhal tusk off the wall, but Lukasz said this was done by another person who also leapt into action as the attack unfolded.
The Polish national has been praised for the "unbelievable heroism" of his actions and is to be honoured by the Polish government with a medal for sacrifice and courage.
Speaking after his release from hospital, Lukasz said: "On the afternoon of Friday, 29 November I was working at Fishmongers Hall as normal when the unimaginable and tragic terrorist attack happened.
“I and several others tried to stop a man from attacking people inside the building. I did this using a pole I found. Someone else was holding a narwhal tusk.
“The man attacked me, after which he left the building. A number of us followed him out but I stopped at the bollards of the bridge. I had been stabbed and was later taken to hospital to be treated.
"I am thankful that I have now been able to return home.
“When the attack happened, I acted instinctively. I am now coming to terms with the whole traumatic incident and would like the space to do this in privacy, with the support of my family.
“I would like to express my condolences to the families who have lost precious loved ones. I would like to send my best wishes to them and everyone effected by this sad and pointless attack.”
Khan was shot dead by police shortly after launching his attack, which claimed the lives Jack and Saskia who were working at a prisoner rehabilitation event on Friday afternoon.
Shortly after the attack, it was revealed that Khan had been previously jailed in 2012 on an indeterminate sentence for terrorism offences.
However, his sentence was later dropped in 2013, and he was instead sentenced to 16 years, with the possibility of release after eight years.
In a statement issued through the Met police, his family said: "We are saddened and shocked by what Usman has done.
"We totally condemn his actions and we wish to express our condolences to the families of the victims that have died and wish a speedy recovery to all of the injured."We would like to request privacy for our family at this difficult time."