Brit tourists in Tenerife hotel lockdown describe 'holiday from hell'
25 February 2020, 14:07 | Updated: 25 February 2020, 14:11
British holidaymakers have described their "holiday from hell" after being told to stay inside a Tenerife hotel after the double blow of a coronavirus outbreak shortly after a major sandstorm.
Guests at the four-star H10 Costa Adeje Palace in the south-west of the Spanish island have been sent a letter saying the hotel is "closed down" and they must remain in their rooms until further notice.
Travel firms Tui and Jet2holidays are among those who use the hotel for package holidays, with Tui having around 200 guests there from different countries, including a small number from the UK.
Hannah Green, 27, from Hertfordshire, arrived at the hotel on Saturday with her boyfriend, Court Amys, and their one-year-old son.
They are supposed to be staying until Sunday. But she claims that communication from the hotel had been "non-existent".
She added: "We woke up to a note under our door this morning saying that for health reasons not to leave our room.
"I called downstairs to reception as soon as I saw it and they wouldn't tell us anything. So I quickly got on my phone and googled and saw a man had tested positive for coronavirus so I basically assumed it was that.
"But since then, we've had nothing from the hotel - no one has told us anything or what's going to happen."
Ms Green said she booked her holiday with Tui. She continued: "I've called them as well and they haven't really said much either. They were just going on what the hotel's been telling them, basically, and the hotel wouldn't tell them anything either.
"People are moving around the hotel but we're not. We're in our room with the baby. We're worried for the baby."
Ms Green said she would like to go home but said: "I don't think we'll be allowed to leave. We don't want to be here. We're fed up now.
"Holiday from hell, honestly."
The H10 Costa Adeje Palace is a seafront hotel with nearly 500 rooms, four pools and a gym.
Another couple, David Hoon, 60, and Pamela Scott, 63, from Matlock, Derbyshire, who also travelled with Tui, told the MailOnline they were surviving on meagre snacks.
Mr Hoon said: "Nobody is telling us what's going on, how long this is going to last and who is going to feed us. The way this has been handled is a disgrace.
"The hotel is like a ghost house and my fear is that by trapping us inside it, we stand more chance of catching the coronavirus. This whole thing is very worrying."
Fellow British tourist Christopher Betts said guests had been allowed to have breakfast in the hotel restaurant on Tuesday morning but were otherwise told to stay in their rooms.
A spokeswoman for Tui UK said it was aware of a case of Covid-19 at the hotel.
She added: "We can confirm that Tui has around 200 customers in the resort from different countries. Tui representatives on Tenerife are present on site and will liaise with our customers."
All guests have been asked to remain in their rooms and are being looked after by the hotel.
"Our holiday programme to Tenerife continues to operate as planned for all other hotels."
A spokesman for Jet2 said: "We are aware of reports that a non-Jet2holidays customer staying at the H10 Costa Adeje Palace in Tenerife has tested positive for coronavirus.
"Under the advice of the regional and the Spanish government authorities, the hotel has been placed under quarantine."
A statement from the hotel said it has "implemented all health and operational recommendations from the health authorities to ensure the safety and wellbeing of customers and employees".
Adding: "Additionally, we are providing customers and hotel staff all the necessary care and attention so that, despite the inconveniences this situation may cause, they are taken care of in the best way possible."