Two sisters found dead in London park murdered by a stranger, say police

12 June 2020, 13:24

Nicole Smallman, 27, and Bibaa Henry, 46, were stabbed to death in Fryent Country Park
Nicole Smallman, 27, and Bibaa Henry, 46, were stabbed to death in Fryent Country Park. Picture: PA

By Asher McShane

Two sisters found dead in a park in London were murdered by a stranger, police believe.

Nicole Smallman, 27, and Bibaa Henry, 46, were found dead after a birthday party in Fryent Country Park off Slough Lane in Wembley, north-west London.

The sisters had met with friends in the park at around 7pm on Friday to celebrate Bibaa's birthday and by midnight only the sisters remained.

Tributes at the scene at an entrance to Fryent Country Park, in Wembley
Tributes at the scene at an entrance to Fryent Country Park, in Wembley. Picture: PA

Their bodies were found shortly after 1pm on Sunday and a post-mortem examination was carried out on Tuesday, revealing the pair both died from multiple stab wounds.

Senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Simon Harding said on Friday: "We can now say with some certainty that Nicole and Bibaa were murdered by someone who was unknown to them."

He said investigators are searching a large area, including a pond, and trawling through hundreds of thousands of tonnes of rubbish which may contain evidence accidentally cleared from the scene.

"We believe the suspect received injuries during the incident which have caused significant bleeding," he said.

"Do you know anyone who has been wounded in the last week who is unable to account for their injuries?

"Has someone returned home and perhaps acted suspiciously or tried to hide something from you?

"We also believe the suspect left the park via the Valley Drive entrance.

"Did you see anyone acting suspiciously in that vicinity during the evening of Friday into early hours of Saturday?

"You may have noticed someone who was injured."

The sisters and their friends were around a five-minute walk from the Valley Drive entrance to the park.

Mr Harding also appealed for anyone who was in the park on Friday evening through to Sunday lunchtime and saw the group or noticed anything suspicious to come forward, as well as regular park users who might have seen someone acting suspiciously in the days before.

North West Borough Commander Roy Smith, added: "My thoughts are with the family who have lost two loved ones in the most tragic of circumstances.

"I know the experienced investigation team are working around the clock to identify whoever is responsible as swiftly as possible and ensure they are brought to justice.

"We will leave no stone unturned.

"Extra resources have been brought in to help from across the Met including additional detectives.

"I understand how alarmed and concerned residents will be about this incident given the circumstances.

"I want to reassure them that officers have been carrying out extra patrols in the area since last Friday and local residents can expect to see this continue over coming days, but of course it's timely to remind people to be vigilant, particularly after dark in parks and opens areas and report anything suspicious to us immediately."

A 36-year-old man arrested in south London on suspicion of murder was released with no further action.

Anyone with information can call police on 020 8721 4205 quoting CAD 3160/7Jun, or to remain anonymous contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online.

Happening Now