Hedgehog put down after it was doused in petrol and set on fire
1 October 2019, 18:37 | Updated: 1 October 2019, 18:42
The RSPCA is appealing for information after a hedgehog had petrol poured on its body and was set on fire in a "horrific and callous act."
A hedgehog was spotted suffering in a garden by a woman when she was hanging out her washing.
She took the injured animal to Ashfield House Veterinary Hospital in Long Eaton, where Vet Charlotte Harris said the hedgehog had suffered burn injuries.
Ms Harris said she could smell petrol on the creature, that was also experiencing breathing difficulties, so believed it had been deliberately set on fire.
Given the seriousness of the hedgehog's condition, the vet decided it was necessary to put the animal down.
RSPCA inspector Annette Della-Porta said she believed the hedgehog must have been targeted "close to where [he] was found as he would have struggled to walk far with those injuries".
"The hedgehog was seen in the garden struggling, his back legs were twitching and some of the spines were missing on his back, but he was still breathing so this kind member of the public rushed him to the vets," she said.
"It seems the poor hedgehog had been deliberately doused in petrol and was then set on fire in what can only be described as a horrific and callous act."
The hedgehog was found in the garden of a house in Ewe Lamb Lane in Bramcote, Nottingham on the morning of Monday, September 23.
Anyone with information on the incident should contact the RSPCA Appeals line on 0300 123 8018.